Monday, October 15, 2007

Oh dear Lord... Not another music blog.....

Yes. In fact I am going to dedicate an entire blog to the subject of music. Why, oh, why? As I said in my previous blog.... My blog, my rules. You have a problem with it? Well, express it in the comments part at the end. I truly believe that there are few people in my vast readership that really don't like or at least somewhat agree with what I say about music. I am usually very positive and I can generally hit a nerve or two with many of you when it comes to music. This blog is going to probably hit more nerves among the parenting set but I think it may hit all of us that have parents, are parents or want to be parents. On Saturday night, I had a very rare opportunity to spend some quality time with the angel I call Vivian. The quality time is not what is so rare but rather the Saturday night time. In the restaurant business, Saturdays are busy days. No matter what capacity I am fulfilling at my current place of employ, I am rarely off on Saturday. There were extenuating circumstances that required me to be off this Saturday, so I was. I am so thankful that I was. After spending the day riding our bikes around Mesa (going down "The Hill" between Stapley and Horne on McKellips, you know the one, and shouting "THAT WAS TOTALLY WICKED!!!" at the tops of our lungs at exactly the same time), we got home and relaxed for a bit until it was time to gorge ourselves on pasta, pizza and that cinnamon thing at Cici's pizza. After walking off dinner through the neighborhood it was bath time and then the all important wind down hour. Vivian chose to watch the Zoey 101 scary Halloween movie which I chose to ignore. She soon realized that it was a bit to scary for her tastes and her attention turned to what I was writing about. It happened to be about her and the song "Unwritten." This prompted me to play it a few times as we danced and sang in our usual manner when this song plays. She then wanted to hear other songs and none of them grabbed her attention as much as "L-O-V-E" by Nat King Cole. I am not sure what it was about this song but there I was, dancing away with her to it several times. Well, she wanted to crank things up a bit so she asked if "I Like to Move It" (the Madagascar version by Sascha Baron Cohen which is the superior version) was on my play list. Sadly, it was not. I soon remedied this and we shook our tail feathers until well after 10pm. Then it was time to wind down so we listened to "Butterfly Kisses" (on my other play list thanks to a very special friend) and "Love Without End, Amen." I cried. She wiped my tears and comforted me. As I was tucking her and Hunter (the cat) in, I thought about how important these moments are. Even more, how important the music that accompanied these moments was. Forever, from now on, she will attach these songs to memories of me. No matter what happens to me. No matter what happens in our relationship. These songs will always bring a good memory of me to her. How amazing is that to think? Forever. That is a mighty long time. I added two songs to my main play list tonight. One is an incomplete version of a song that brings a flood of tears to my eyes whenever I hear even part of it. That's why I am okay with it's incompleteness. It's "The Perfect Fan" by the Backstreet Boys. It reminds me of all of the wonderful things that my mother has done for me and reminds me that she will always be my number one fan. The other song is one by Louis Prima and Keely Smith. My father tells me the whole story of Louis and Keely every single time he hears one of their songs and I am near. I also get the story if he happens to hear about The Jungle Book from myself or Vivian because Louis was the voice of King Louie, the orangutan. These songs are precious to me because of my parents. The songs that are precious to Vivian, I hope, are because of me. Need any other reason to put a soundtrack to your life? Try it.

1 comment:

wendylu said...

awwwww that was so good. i also do this with my kids. we are definately fans of dancing to music forever. i hope they remember those moments. im glad that you had such a good saturday. well now i have to go listen to ur play list. late gator