Saturday, October 13, 2007

Hmmmmm....Tastes like chicken.......

Okay, let's get our minds out of the gutter with the title, people. For those of you who are reading this because of the catchy and suggestive title, shame on you. You will be disappointed that this is not an R-rated blog. Those of you reading this because you truly enjoy reading this author's words no matter what the title is, thank you. Now, on to the subject. "So close you can almost taste it." A simple line from a great song. I know that it is a saying that has been around for many years but it has gained a resurgence in popularity since the great song, "Unwritten." Yes, I know it is a "chick" song. Yes, I know that I am essentially emasculating myself by admitting that I listen to the song frequently enough to be inspired by one of it's lines but I will tell you this.... I listen because Vivian loves the song (I do too, but I am not going to admit it to you....crap, I just did......maybe they are just skimming and they missed it.....just go on....act naturally......). Vivian loves the fact that this song is on my play list. Whenever Daddy is writing the song almost always comes on. It does not matter where she is in the house, she comes running and we dance and sing the song like there was no tomorrow. That is why I know it so well. That's why the line about being able to taste something that is so close is the topic of this blog. Ever experienced this feeling? I am sure the saying got it's origins in the times when there were wide open spaces and folks would be cooking out all of the time. You would be on your way to said cookout and as you would approach, you could taste the food as it was being prepared even if you could not see the cooking taking place....The smell would waft through the air for miles... It would make you salivate. Your stomach would growl. You would greedily lick your lips. You could not wait until you got there. The trip could not take any longer. I think this happens literally and figuratively. Just like my blog about anticipation this one is about wanting something. Only this time instead of waiting for it, it's here and I can't have it. Like the pie that Grandma baked in the other blog....Only this time, you can't eat it. It's for company. It would be like the Spider-Man decoder ring arriving but you can't have it until your birthday. This is the "so close you can almost taste it" stuff I am talking about. I gotta tell ya, I have a great taste in my mouth right now. Too bad I am so close, yet so far. Close, apparently, only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. So I have been told. I think it counts in my present situation, too. I am close, I can taste it, I am okay with that. At least I got to taste. Some folks never will. Sucks to be them!

1 comment:

wendylu said...

lol ur killing me. i definately know how that feels. except i got to taste it last night. lol. well lets move on. so i do feel for you and i hope that it was enough to just get a little sniff. hehe.