Monday, December 1, 2008

A friend indeed.....

You know, it's funny. They say you can't pick your family. I guess that is, for the most part, true. They say you CAN and DO pick your friends. I think this is patently false. Think of how many people have come into your purely by mistake and have become good, close friends. Think of how many people just kinda sashayed into your little world and the next thing you knew, you were trading secrets and recipes with them. It happens so often that it is hard for me to believe that we have ANY say in who our friends are. We have the chance and/or choice to keep said folks in our lives, true. But how they come to us is totally random. Or part of a specific, God-like plan. Whichever you choose to believe. I happen to think that the people that come and go in and out of our lives that we truly consider friends are there for a reason and we will never know what that exact reason until the end. Either theirs or ours. I say this because how often do we have someone close to us that we swear will be our bestest bud forever and then they go away. Only to come back and pick up right where you left it. Then leave again etc.... It has happened so many times for me with SO many good friends that I am excited for the next 30 years to see who else comes and goes. One person I would like to highlight is my dear friend Christy Guin. I really don't even remember when and how we met. She will more than likely kick my ass for this faux pas but remember, I destroyed A LOT of brain cells over the years. There is A LOT I cannot remember. All I know is that Christy and I, somewhere along the path of life, became thick as thieves. Literally. We followed many of the same destructive paths in life and as a result, came to understand one another more than anyone else. We clicked. We read each other's minds. We were like brother and sister. Except for that fact that we made out like drunken fools a time or two which cancelled out the brother and sister thing. Maybe more like kissing cousins...... Ewwwwww no. That's just even more gross. It really is. Okay. We were very good friends who liked each other enough to share a brain but never a bed....... Maybe...... I'll never tell....... If we did, it was innocent....... Maybe...... I"ll never tell. It did seem, for several years, that we shared a brain. She would have a boyfriend, I was married, and yet we still managed to ALWAYS be there for one another. To her boyfriends, I was her gay friend Brad. To my ex-wife, she was a dirty little secret even though nothing ever happened between us while I was married, I was still not allowed female friends so our conversations were always on the DL. We are so alike it has always been almost creepy. As I mentioned, we both have gone down destructive paths together. It is amazing that now, as we are both trying to mend some of our wreckage and move forward in our lives that we have once again connected on that level we know best. Deep. Spiritual. Surreal. Christy (Mia), I love you. Dearly. You know this. Always know it. Thank you for being there for me. I am here for you. Always. By the way, pick a different park next time and maybe I will next time.......

No comments: