Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"I don't care if he's Bohemian, it's still the Damn Cat!" -Don Jones

Well, it's done. The cat was taken to the vet today to get neutered and de-clawed. Just the front claws. It is a male cat. He weighs 6.5 lbs and is approx. 6 1/2 months. Now I know that some of you may be saying..."Back the heck up.... Cat??!!! Brad Jones with a cat?" I know. Sounds weird. Some of you may remember that I had a cat for a short period of time when I was nineteen and first on my own. Remember Abe? The deaf cat? Man, he was a trip. He was the cat that was hurled across the room one very drunken evening. He was okay. Wouldn't talk to me for a week, but he did land on his feet...... Those were different times. I had a lot of anger inside of me back then and the six 33oz mugs of Coors Light and 4 shots of Goldschlager did not help with the anger. There is no anger now. Really.... Not too much anyway. There is no alcohol this time at all. I think I am ready. In fact, I know I am. I have to be. This cat was a gift. Uh oh, here he goes again....That's right folks. I am about to shock you with a little more spirituality. This cat was a gift from my higher power (I am choosing to go with higher power as opposed to God so as not to put some of you into complete cardiac arrest but I know it was God). We have all experienced the odd stray cat that seeks out attention as we walk through our neighborhoods. They usually stay around for a pat on the back and a rub against the leg but then they are off. Satisfied that they have done their job. Done what they are paid to do. Amuse the human. This cat was different. He stayed with me through the rain, another cat and a quarter mile of walking. When he got to the house, he walked in as though he owned the place, plopped down and has not left since. So what makes me think that this is a gift from Him? I just know. You have to take my word for it. I guess I could expound a little..... There have been several times in my life that I have struggled with the existence of a higher power. Many times I have found myself wondering why He has forsaken me. For reasons I am not going to mention, I was at one of those places recently. Not too long after I find myself asking for some sort of proof or some kind of sign, here comes this cat. To me. I fell in love instantly. I find myself missing him right now as I type. Attacking my feet or curling up behind me on this computer chair. This emotion after just a few days. You gonna tell me that is not a sign? Vivian is not with me all of the time. When she is not with me, I feel like a part of me is missing.... This cat has helped, in just a few short days, to fill that void. Not completely. That will never happen. He sure makes it easier. I know this is a sign because I am constantly reminded of the story about God and his love in the story of the Footprints in the Sand. You all know it. The man who dreams that he has died and is walking along the beach with Jesus. Watching scenes of his life passing by he notices there are two sets of Footprints in the Sand. Except, during the hard times, he sees only one set. He asks Jesus, "Why is there only one set of footprints at some points? They seem to be at the points in my life when things were at their worst. Why did You abandon me then? Did you not say that if I loved You and believed in You that You would always be there for me?" Jesus simply replied, "My son, that is when I carried you." Gives me chills just writing it. My twist to the story will be this though.... When it's my turn to walk along that beach with Jesus, I will look at the footprints and see three sets from this point on. Me, Jesus and the Damn Cat. When there are 2 sets, I know it will be the cat and Jesus. I hope he's been working out, though....

No comments: