Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I dig old movies....

There was a movie that came out in 1955 called Love is a Many Splendored Thing. Great movie. Alas, this blog is not about the movie. It is about the title. This blog is going to be about a few movie titles and what they mean to me. Before I go off on one of my tangents, let's discuss this first one. This concept of love being a many splendored thing. The dictionary has splendor as "brilliant, full of light and brightness.... yadda yadda..." Speaking of dictionaries, did you know that the word spleen can also mean "malice or full of avarice?" I had no idea. So, instead of saying that someone did something out of meanness, we can say they did it out of spleenness? You are a spleenful person? That was really spleen? Wow, I am totally going to start using that stuff.....Oh sorry..... Where was I? Oh yeah, splendored. So, according to this movie/song title, love is brilliant. Love is full of brightness and light. You know, I had something really cynical and quite pathetic to say but I just changed my mind. I was just about to go off on how dark and dull love is. How difficult it is to deal with and how empty it leaves you. I really was. I just changed my mind as I was typing. "What a Good Boy" by the Barenaked Ladies just came on. If you have read any of my MySpace blogs, you know that I love this song. It is an amazing song that sends chills down my spine and causes me to gush tears every time I hear it. It came on just as I was getting ready to spew forth disdain for the one emotion that is now filling me with Brightness. Brilliance. Yeah, love can hurt. So does falling down. It's part of life. You learn to move on when love dies. Just like we learn to move on when someone or something close to us dies. What fills love with it's splendor is the fact that you know when you have it. It's the greatest feeling in the world. I find myself almost speechless at this very moment. I know, hard to believe. I mean it. I do not know what else to say about love. Only that I have had it. I have it. I will always have it. Next movie title. I would be remiss in any discussion of movie titles if I did not mention Inherit the Wind. Not only is this a great movie title, it is my all-time favorite movie. The title actually comes from the Bible. "He that troubleth his own house, shall inherit the wind." Proverbs 11:29. It has always blown me away how a movie that is wrought with individuality, agnosticism, evolutionary principles would have a biblical quote for it's title. That, my friends is the genius. One of the things I loved about the movie so much is the fact that it preached (no pun intended) the need for everyone on both sides of the issues to learn to come together. The famous last scene with Spencer Tracy standing in the courtroom, Bible in one hand, Origin of Species in the other. Slams them together, tucks them under his arm and walks out the door alone. Symbolism. Irony. That is what makes the title so damn good. Symbolism. Irony. Speaking of irony, remember that Alanis Morrisette song "Ironic?" There is a line in there that I am thinking about right now..... Never mind. Inside thought. Went back to that whole love thing. I can't seem to shake it. I have never been that moved by an emotion while writing before. It has really messed me up. In a good way...I honestly don't think I can go on. I need a good cry. Well, not really. That did not sound very manly. What I meant was, I need to go hit something. Something soft. Not an angry hit. Not at all. There is no anger in me right now. Only Love.

1 comment:

{connie} said...

*kudos* doesn't music always do that to ya!