Monday, April 6, 2009

Simplicity People.... Simplicity....

So the scene is something like this... A group of 30 somethings sit around a conference table with a phone in the center of the table. One of said people is talking to someone on the speaker phone when the person on the phone excuses himself and places our room of people on hold. Hold music is heard and our intrepid group all look at each other sheepishly. Next thing you know they break out into a mean game of musical chairs to the tinkling of the hold music. When our phone person returns, mayhem ensues as our group is sent darting for the chairs that remain. This is the premise for a Chili's commercial and is totally visual. I cannot do it justice in describing it in this medium but I must convey to you people that the first time I saw this commercial, I belly laughed. I have belly laughed on every subsequent viewing. The premise of this commercial is so damn simple. I am shocked that no one has done it before. I am even more shocked that the folks at Chili's and their ad agency came up with it. Not some sketch or comedic movie writer. Sometimes, the simplest of premises make up the funniest of situations. It never ceases to amaze me how true this is. In almost all aspects of life. Television, multimedia, radio, film. All of these mediums prove to us over and over again that the simpler you make something, the better it can be. The funnier. The easier. Simplicity. We try so hard these days to complicate everything. We over-analyze. We scrutinize. We beat a point to death. If we could just learn to simplify things that happen to us or in situations that we encounter on a day to day basis, I truly believe we would be much happier people in general. There is an old acronym that I believe started in the sales world. K.I.S.S. It stands for Keep It Simple Stupid. Not the friendliest way to put it but one way to put it nonetheless. We need to clear our heads and get back to basics. Down to the nitty gritty. Stop making things too important. This is going to be a short one people. It has taken me quite some time to print this from conception and I am not quite sure why.... Probably thought about it too hard.... See what I mean????!!!!!

No comments: