Monday, November 12, 2007

Another "Inherit the Wind" moment... Brought to you by Marie Callender's...Makers of the best Humble Pie...

I had to talk about a moment that I witnessed today. It was a moment that I will not soon forget. One that has left an indelible mark on my brain. One that I will recall for years to come when someone asks me if I have ever seen a hero topple in person. We have all witnessed athletes, celebrities, and religious figures, who once had hero status, fall in disgrace due to their own greed or stupidity. These things usually take place on television. This way, even if they were our hero, we have this built in detachment that is the screen. They are not experiencing this right in front of us. They are thousands of miles away in their own world, not even caring what we think. It is far more rare to see someone you know, perhaps a hero of yours, fall from grace. I saw something like that today. Perhaps not a fall from grace, as it were. More like a weakness. realizing that Superman is weakened by Kryptonite. Finding out that Achilles can be killed if he is hit in the heel. That is what I saw today. How does this relate to Inherit the Wind? What comparisons can be drawn? Very simple. Matthew Harrison Brady (played by Frederic March) is on the stand being cross-examined by Henry Drummond (brilliantly played by Spencer Tracy) in the "Trial of the Century." Keep in mind that the movie is based on the Scopes Monkey Trial and that the courtroom scenes are actual court transcripts. During his cross, Henry Drummond is able to shake the very foundation that Matt Brady is standing on. This leaves Matt shouting incoherently and demanding attention and respect much to the shock of his many followers.... How could this great man be reduced to such a pitiful state? How does a God-fearing man of the Bible get destroyed by a Godless Agnostic in a battle of faith? The expressions on the faces of the followers as they leave the courtroom spoke volumes. They were watching their hero fall. The relationship would never be the same. I must say that what I witnessed was not a man who had been elevated to hero status falling before my eyes. Rather, a man who prides himself in his unflappable demeanor. His crusty, grumpy, outer-shell ever present. His strength in the face of stress and concern always on high. All of these attributes, taken away and he was reduced to tears with one phone call. A phone call that informed him that his mother is dying of cancer. If you know me at all, you have heard me talk about the chef at the restaurant where I work. A stubborn, gravelly voiced, opinionated black man by the name of Leonard. For all of his layers of crust, the man has a heart of gold. He is a boss. He is an asshole. He is a friend. It broke my heart to watch him suffer with the news. I was speechless. Yes, me. I was unable to come up with any words of comfort and encouragement. I felt they would seem insincere, contrived. So, I said nothing. Before I left, I placed my hand on his shoulder. As his back was to me, he had to turn around to see who was violating his personal space. There must have been a knowing look on my face or perhaps there was some influence from above, but this salty, angry, loud bastard actually hugged me. It was one of the most satisfying hugs a man can get from a man. It was just the right thing for both of us. I thought about ruining the moment and grabbing his ass, but I thought better of it....

1 comment:

wendylu said...

Hey u. I am so sorry to hear that about ur friend. That is an awful thing for anyone. I am glad u chose to be there for him. And yes, I am glad u refrained from grabbing his a**!